Monday, June 7, 2010

Wedding Weekend - Preparations

Note: I promise that I did actually write this post on Sunday. But Blogger was having some issues during the last 20 hours.

After gathering inspiration from all kinds of sources (yes, I practically lived on TheKnot.com) I started to make decisions on how to make my (budget) Modern Glam vision come to life. But the first step was one that I could not DIY - I had to find the dress. I wanted it to complement the Orpheum and be something that people hadn't seen before. I tried on a LOT of dresses:

 

before I found The One:
Maggie Sottero Evita (love, love, still love it)

Then it was time to get down to the DIY; well, almost. I wanted to use a chandelier motif to go with all of the gorgeous chandeliers at the Orpheum. However, my design attempt didn't get very far:
Fortunately for those who want to use this lovely theme now, it's widely being used in invitation designs. It was just getting popular when I was looking for it so I couldn't find quite what I needed. Instead I went to Etsy (also fairly new two years ago) and bought these lovelies:
Invitation by fubabee. Photo by Mark Kegans.
So I missed my chandy on the invites but did find a few other places to use it:
Stamped on coasters for cocktail hour;

Stamped and embossed on place cards; (photo by Mark Kegans.)

and on the labels for the CD we gave as favors. (Photo by Mark Kegans.)

We were holding dinner on the stage which, while lovely, may as well have been outdoors! The ceiling was so tall that I knew it would be hard to make the space feel like it was filled. I decided to do both low and high centerpieces to create some more atmosphere. Half of the tables would have Eiffel vases with some gold sprays I found that couldn't have been more perfect.

 Everyone in my family went on the hunt for these!

The other tables would use pillar candles, a gold charger and pearls. But during my test runs I couldn't get it quite right...

Don't worry, no fake flowers were planned for the actual centerpieces.

Eventually, the 6 inch candle was replaced by pink candles that my mom, my sisters and I spent one night customizing.


The place settings from this post, and the centerpieces too, would have been a perfect finish to the table. But...I would probably still be paying those off today. So the final touch on the tables were framed numbers:

Little sister lovingly cut and assembled everything.

A few more DIY projects were also completed for the ceremony. Quite a few nights were spent pinning flowers to styrofoam balls that would line the aisle:
 Photo by Mark Kegans.

I used our engagement photos on my DIY programs which I probably had way to much fun designing and writing!
Photo by Mark Kegans.
Actually, I had far too much fun with all of it. Which is one of the reasons why I love to see the weddings and parties that others have planned. It's great to know that other people enjoy putting together all of the details that make a celebration special. But no matter how much I liked putting everything together, nothing compared to seeing it all come together to celebrate our wedding day!

No comments:

Post a Comment